Friday, February 1, 2008

Pasture Seeding Rates

I can't help it. There is a part of me, deeply rooted in my genes, that desires to see cows chewing cud on lush, green pastures. I once had a one way commute of over an hour a day - the only thing that kept me sane was that part of that drive took me through rolling green (green in February and March, anyway) and brown hills filled with fat and sassy "white faced black cows" and their calves.

That having been said, yes, I know the photo has nothing to do with pastures. Most of my photos are on CDs right now and I didn't see any photos of cows or pastures. So here, at least, are some legumes - sugar snap peas, to be exact.

Anyhow, these seeding rates are from The Contrary Farmer by Gene Logsdon. Keep in mind, they relate to the area where he farms and may not be applicable to where you and I end up sending down roots... but at least it gives one a starting point. Armed with these figures, you can then calculate some gross costs. You can then take that information and accost your friendly neighborhood Agricultural Extension person to get figures and ideas more suited to your particular situation.

But, do read the book - it is much more informative and entertaining than the bare bones listed here. This info can be found in the chapter titled, "A Paradise of Meadows."
Note: This is not a "mixture" of what to plant, but individual amounts if you were to sow a pasture of each grass or legume.


  • Bluegrass (as in "Kentucky Bluegrass") : 10 - 15 lbs per acre

  • White Clover (aka "Little Dutch") : 2 lbs per acre

  • Red Clover: 8 - 12 lbs per acre

  • Alfalfa: 8 - 12 lbs per acre

  • Timothy (sow with clovers): 10 lbs per acre

  • Orchard Grass: 15 lbs per acre

  • Landino Clover: 2 lbs per acre

No comments: