Saturday, February 9, 2008

Why this is not called "Sustainable Living Dreams"

In my dreams, I am living in a small cabin in a large woods. I have a little clearing where I have a fenced garden with raised beds of veggies, a small orchard and a fish pond. I use solar energy for heating, hot water and electricity. I live simply, my only extravagance a laptop and a satellite dish Internet connection. And, perhaps, a radio and probably a cell phone. I would raise and preserve all my own food and spend time communing with the trees.

But this is not my husband's dream. He wants a large "suburban" house and wants to be a "gentleman farmer" if farmer at all. More, I suspect, he just wants to live in a more rural setting. He wants a modern home, big screen TV, a tile shower. A place to bring old cars and trucks back to life.

But, at least, we both love trees. So, if he can have his modern conveniences, he is content to let me "do my silly farming thing." It's a compromise on both sides. Both of us have had to give up major parts of our dreams so that we could accommodate parts of the other's dreams. Still, I think, neither one of us would be content with even the best possible outcome of our own dreams if we couldn't have each-other. So, we compromise. And in doing so, we can "have our cake and eat it too." Just a little smaller piece of cake. But cake is very rich and sweet, so even a small slice is pretty splendid. Especially if it is German Chocolate Cake.

So we go forth, planning and plotting and dreaming of Our Place in the Country.

No comments: