Thursday, January 31, 2008

Random Thoughts


18 months to two years - I know it will go by fast, but for the moment, it seems like forever before we actually move. So, here are some ramblings on "what I would do with 15 acres" and what type of land I might desire.



  • Grow enough corn to feed me, my chickens, my pigs and even enough to share with some of the wildlings
  • A green house
  • Dragonfly perches
  • Grow hundreds of sunflowers
  • Grow open pollinated plants and save seeds
  • 1/3 woods, 1/3 pastures, a large, fenced garden
  • pond
  • piles of leaves
  • brush pile and other natural habitats (to house the very critters I am trying to keep out of my garden!!!)
  • Heritage breed livestock
  • tracktored chickens
  • Rotational pasture
  • large compost pile
  • apple orchard
  • small mixed orchard of pears, peaches, nectarines
  • hedge rows
  • potting shed
  • Wisteria
  • arbors
  • day lillies, bearded irises and daffodils
  • gazebo
  • hot tub
  • solar water heating
  • back yard bbq big enough for roasting a pig
  • fire places
  • rolling hills
  • small arms firing range
  • rifle firing range
  • large trees
  • morning glories
  • "wild flower" area
  • water barrels
  • catfish
  • huge library
  • home made bird feeders
  • chicks
  • goats
  • "Misty sunrise in my home town, rows of cotton 'bout knee high..."
  • tree pruning
  • tile
  • raised garden beds
  • stone walls
  • small red barn
  • fencing, cross-fencing, electric fencing, wood fencing



By the way, the photo is a picture of Ozark Beauty strawberries, mulched with shredded junk mail and tinged red by early autumn frost.

No comments: