Saturday, April 19, 2008

Seedlings

Basil, is, of course, one of my favorite herbs. It is easy to grow, transplants well and takes much abuse. Here you see a transplanted seedling in a recycled plastic drinking cup. I use an old toe nail clipper to snip drainage holes in the bottoms. I have reused some of these cups for two years now, and most look like they are going strong, although some now have cracks on the sides... And what goes better with basil than tomatoes? I almost always start tomato plants way too early, so they get transplanted a few times before going outside. This is the first "planting up". After becoming nearly root bound in the 6 oz cups, they get moved up to salvaged Taco Bell cups. Here's the current crop of tomato babies out in the sun...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I HAVE to plant basil this fall! Hubby uses it all the time and I'm tired of buying wilted stuff at the grocery store! Thanks for sharing!